Saturday 14 July 2012

Review: The Girl in the Clockwork Collar

Book Two of the Steampunk Chronicles (therefore containing spoilers for the previous book)


In New York City, 1897, life has never been more thrilling - or dangerous. 

Sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne and her "straynge band of mysfits" have journeyed from London to America to rescue their friend Jasper, hauled off by bounty hunters. But Jasper is in the clutches of a devious former friend demanding a trade-the dangerous device Jasper stole from him...for the life of the girl Jasper loves. 

One false move from Jasper and the strange clockwork collar around Mei's neck tightens. And tightens.



It has been a long time since the first book and before starting this one, I had to search among the many reviews online to find one willing to spoil the first book for me so that I would know what happened. Despite my trying to find out everything, none of the reviews gave everything away (which I desperately wanted) so I started the book a little clueless and somewhat cautious. I was glad it didn't take to long for me to remember almost everything important that happened in the first book and then I started to thoroughly get into this one.


This book takes off at the end of the last one, when Jasper was arrested by the 'police' for a murder charge. Griffin, Finley, Sam and Emily travel to America in hopes of finding their friend innocent and to take him back to England. I loved all the characters in this book but I sorely missed Jack Dandy who didn't bother to appear but for two lines where Griffin is jealous. I feel in love with Jasper more and more throughout the book, as well as Miss Emily and Miss Finley. Mei as the new girl didn't even try to win my love, I mostly wanted to punch her from beginning to end but there were moments when I went 'Okay I'll punch you later since I kinda feel for you right now'.

As a girl that loves mystery, adventure and action, I loved this book only to a point. The action Cross provided well and I enjoyed very much. The mystery wasn't a mystery at all since it was exactly what I thought would happen with no twists or surprises, the bad guys the good guys were all in plain sight without a single doubt of who is on whose side. This may be due to The Queen of Attolia, which is full of exciting and intriguing mysteries all through the book which I read just before this that my mind was so quick to solve the mysteries that it didn't seem like a mystery at all. However despite this I loved this book and enjoyed reading it very, very much. 

The main thing pulling me through the book was my love for Jasper and Finley, they are wonderful and exciting characters that this book developed really well. The writing style of Cross was also enjoyable to read, going from one character's POV to another's. I loved the Steampunk theme of this book with the wonderful gadgets and interesting costumes. If there is a next book, I would love to see more of Dandy and the dark side of Finley, as well as to see what happens to Jasper now.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment