Thursday 12 July 2012

Review: The Queen of Attolia

Book Two of the Queen's Thief Series (therefore containing spoilers for the previous book)


Revenge
When Eugenides, the Thief of Eddis, stole Hamiathes's Gift, the Queen of Attolia lost more than a mythical relic. She lost face. Everyone knew that Eugenides had outwitted and escaped her. To restore her reputation and reassert her power, the Queen of Attolia will go to any length and accept any help that is offered...she will risk her country to execute the perfect revenge.
...but
Eugenides can steal anything. And he taunts the Queen of Attolia, moving through her strongholds seemingly at will. So Attolia waits, secure in the knowledge that the Thief will slip, that he will haunt her palace one too many times.
...at what price?
When Eugenides finds his small mountain country at war with Attolia, he must steal a man, he must steal a queen, he must steal peace. But his greatest triumph, and his greatest loss, comes in capturing something that the Queen of Attolia thought she had sacrificed long ago...



I started this book nearly straight after I finished The Thief, I couldn't wait to see more of Gen. I had anticipated seeing Gen in court and watching him interact with the Queen and court members, however I was disappointed with Gen appearing in Attolia a year after the end of the last book. A bit like the first book, I found the beginning a little boring and not very satisfying, but once Gen returned to Eddis the action and intrigue soon began.

I can happily say that this book is my favourite out of the two I have read so far, unlike the first one, The Queen of Attolia is more to do with the workings of the court and the relationship between the kingdoms. A war has broken out and I loved reading about how the three kingdoms tried to outwit each other and to win this war. More political and with more riddles to solve, The Queen of Attolia surprised me and I was reluctant to put it down even after the last word.

In this book, Gen turns more dark and dangerous, he becomes more cunning and willing to do things that he previously wouldn't do. They say 'all is fair in love and war' and Gen proves this with his brilliant plans to help Eddis survive the war. I also grew to love the Queen of Eddis very much in this book, she proves herself to be a smart, kind and loving Queen, her love for Gen is something special and to be treasured.

Once again the ending is a bit unrealistic when you first read it, but then things are explained (just like the first book) and you realise that its not so unrealistic at all. I can't say the ending was the one I wanted from the beginning, however it did leave me wanting to read the next book very, very much. Gen has once again gotten himself into a situation that might just be the death of him, and I can't wait to see how he plans to survive this in the next book.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment