Wednesday 11 July 2012

Review: The Thief

"I can steal anything."
After Gen's bragging lands him in the king's prison, the chances of escape look slim. Then the king's scholar, the magus, needs the thief's skill for a seemingly impossible task - to steal a hidden treasure from another land.
To the magus, Gen is just a tool. But Gen is a trickster and a survivor with a plan of his own.



The Thief has had many praises and recommendations from fans of the Tamora Pierce books, it is because of this that I first picked it up. I was very optimistic when I began this book due to my love for books like the Song of the Lioness and smart, cunning thieves. It was a good start to the story but after the first 15 pages everything started getting a bit boring.


Gen journeys to find a hidden treasure that no other person has ever come back from. Every person or crew that ever attempted to steal the object went missing and no one knew what happened to them. Together with the magus. his two apprentices and a guard, Gen travels across kingdoms to reach his destination. The journey is a slow and somewhat boring one. However it is full of tales of the Gods in his world and I loved every single one of those stories.


The magus and his two apprentices, whom Gen dubs Useless the Elder and Useless the Younger, are characters that slowly develop during the course of their journey. Pol their guard is also someone that you slowly get to know. I didn't really like any of the characters in particular, at times even Gen annoyed me a bit, but slowly I got to make some judgements on them, about who they are and what they want from this task. In the end, I found that many of my guesses were wrong.


Turner gave very little clues during the story to give you a chance at guessing the right ending. Even though at first many things didn't really make sense and I thought the end was so twisted that it was unrealistic, I grew to like the way it ended very much so I can't complain. I must admit that first half of the story was not very engrossing, however at the last 100 pages, I was gripping the edge of my seat in anticipation of how their journey would end. The very end is magnificent and I loved it, I can't wait to read the next book now that the true identities of everyone is known.


Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment