Saturday 4 August 2012

Review: Obsidian

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.


The blurb completely sucked me in. A hot neighbour who's got a killer mouth? Cliché, but totally fun to read about. And then there were the aliens. Well, there isn't much cliché about that and I have to say, aliens have never been so sexy until I read this book which makes them not only sexy, but totally badass and to die for.

Obsidian is fun, exciting and one of those books that keeps you laughing long after you've finished the book. The main character Katy is better than most girls in books, she's strong and independent, always ready to prove herself to the world (or more accurately: Daemon). Her love for books makes her easier to connect with, and her funny thoughts also makes this book more enjoyable to read. I really liked her sensibility and caution when dealing with relationships, although there were times when I thought she could have thrown caution out the window.

Daemon is the guy who has a killer body and a killer mouth. His words are always sharp and cut deep into you soul, sometimes its nice words, but most of the time, he's an award winning ass. What I loved was that Armentrout helped you understand him throughout the story and most of his decisions. He isn't the nicest person alive (far from it) but you get why he does what he does and sometimes you have to admire him a little for it. At the back of the book, there was a couple of chapters from his POV and I loved the chance to get into his head.

Aliens. Well, I've never read a book on drool worthy aliens and I have to say that Obsidian has changed my view of aliens forever. Next time I see the word alien in a book, it's going to have a high expectation to live up to. Armentrout's brand of aliens were physically amazing with even better abilities.

After reading this book, I'm desperate for the next one. The ending wasn't exactly a cliffhanger, but it definitely left you wanting more. I would recommend this to those who love books that make you laugh. Aliens might not sound appealing but trust me, this group of aliens will knock you off your feet. Fun and witty, Obsidian was a light and relaxing read.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked this one Helen! :)
    Didn't know aliens could be this hot! Hehehe.
    (i have been drooling the whole time!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Head over to my blog to get the details! www.readbetweenthecovers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete